Last week Friday, I put up one of those boomerang videos on my WhatsApp story and a good friend of mine who happens to be much older (he’d attack me for saying he’s MUCH OLDER he he) then hits me up and says ‘how I wish I was 25’. I asked him what he would have done differently and His reply was ‘I would live more, worry less and seek His truth’. I laughed about it and we continued our conversation but his reply held my mind captive for hours and even days after that.
“I would live more, worry less and seek His truth“
It hit me so hard that I AM 25 (well not yet but it’s so close I can smell it lol) why am I not living, why am I still worrying? Why am I still chasing after things more than God? Why am I succumbing to the voice of the world and adjusting my life to suit it? This weekend after that statement, I realized one major thing. I mean I’ve known and felt it for the longest time but last weekend it really hit me so hard. I am not living! I am simply tolerating my life. I am tolerating my youth; I am tolerating this very season i’m in. Yes, I am alive and I say I am grateful which I really believe that I am but let’s look at it this way, if you were really grateful for a gift someone gave you what would you do? Show it off right? Wear it or use it proudly, talk about it and the person who gave it to you. Adore it, keep it safe, cherish it, treat it with respect right?? I don’t know about you but that doesn’t seem like what I’m doing with my life. So that statement ‘how I wish I was 25’ really gave me the kick I needed. I don’t want to look back at my life years from now or even just a year from now and realize how good I have it, how blessed I am and how much more I could do. I don’t want to look at my niece or daughter at 24 and wish I was 24 again. I’m 24 now and I need to make the most out of it
I realized 5 other things this weekend…
- GOD IS PERFECT IN ALL OF HIS WAYS. You will not get there the way Ashley, Eden or Dean did because you aren’t Ashley, Eden or Dean (wait unless that’s your name he he but you get the message) . you are insert name! If you trust Him, He will get you exactly where you ought to be regardless of manner. Your story is unique! God has a different training ground for each of us because we have different missions we are on. Yes, they are linked but they are different. It’s like being in an exam room where everyone has different questions on different topics in different subjects. you can’t begin to feel inadequate because someone is writing more than you are or measure your value based on how long you stayed answering your distinctive set of questions. You are allowed to take a moment to breathe, to ask God for directions, to take steps back and redirect ourselves into God’s will, we are allowed to let others ‘take the lead’. God is perfect in His ways, you may not see it but I tell you, rejoice NOW because once you align yourself in His will, it’s definitely all working out for your good.
- ‘It’s too late’ should not exist in our terminology. As cliché as this about to sound, trust me it’s never too late! Never too late to get your relationship right with God, never too late to start something new, never too late to stop something you hate, never to late to go get something you’ve always wanted or to let go of something you’ve held on for far too long. It’s never too late to learn something new or polish up on something you gave up on. Never too late to be a better husband/wife, daughter/son, sister/brother, in-law, best friend; to have a better relationship with anyone. It’s never too late to start afresh!! You have an amazing gift called today, stop wasting it on ‘it’s too late’.
- Do not be afraid to EXPRESS how you feel. Yes, as humans we are afraid to be defenseless, afraid to say too much or do too much. We are afraid to feel and let people know how we feel about them. Would it make you vulnerable? It might! However, you shouldn’t be ashamed of that. Strength isn’t found in keeping your walls high up (I would know), its in letting your guards down; its in building bridges. I have come to realize that there is an amazing, beautiful and overwhelming peace in stripping down and being honest about how you feel about the people important to you. There is something explosive about extending this love to people you don’t even know or aren’t close to. The number one way of knowing that Christ abides in you is when you walk in love! (Galatians 5:22)
- You need to forget the address of your past! Pick up the lessons, dust yourself up and move on!! You don’t and shouldn’t live there anymore. Learn to FORGIVE yourself and anyone who has hurt you for your own sake. You shouldn’t pattern your life now over mistakes you made, failures, heartbreaks. You need to surrender them to the Master Healer and Comforter; Jesus. Those moments, words and deeds would only define your today if you let them. If you allow the ugly from your past to map out your today, you would only see ugliness in each day. You will miss out on a lot because you are standing stuck at a place, an age, a moment that happened a long time ago. Its time to let it go and start viewing your right now and future through different lenses
- The world has a ‘beautiful’ way of dimming your light. Making you devalue yourself. It tells you to be independent; that you wouldn’t need anyone. That the only way to be happy is by getting to the top no matter what, the journey there is irrelevant. It tells you that your possessions; the THINGS you have is all that matters but know this, it’s the BEINGS. We are then set up on this useless chase to nothingness and indirectly shown that if the need be, we would have to pull others down and trampled over them to get there. If you want to go fast, by all means go alone. Follow the world’s trend, be in competition with each other, care about people only after you’ve acquired all the things. If you want to go far however, go with your brethren. Help people up as you go and grow, you have something they need and like it or not they have something you need too. We were not made to tear each other down and win over each other, that’s the life of the world. We were made to encourage one another, build one another, teach one another, grow with one another and be each other’s keeper. We were made to be members in particular that fit together to display a beautiful picture of God’s glory. There is no ME in the kingdom of God, that’s why Christ taught us to say OUR Father. Our strength is found in our unity with Christ as our solid rock on which we build on.
I don’t want to live in my past anymore or spend my days daydreaming about my future. I have a gift called life in another gift called today and I’m ready to live it! You should be excited about today! excited that at least you have the chance to live in today, you have the chance to make a choice to BE a difference. You have a chance to make a change in your life and the lives of others, you have the chance to be whoever God has called you to be. Most of us are settling for ‘just okay’ lives, school courses, jobs, relationships.. LISTEN UP! You were not made to just exist, tolerate your life, watch the days turn into weeks, do the same old stuff and hit repeat on the Sunday evening. I can assure you that no matter the stage you are in; you have great potential within to do so much more however, do not despise your small beginnings ( Zechariah 4:10)
That desire that seems stupid? Yup the one that you don’t like to talk about because it seems silly or unrealistic? Talking about it makes you seem like Joseph; the dreamer or like Abraham who called himself the father of all nations and didn’t have a kid yet? Yes, yes that one I’m talking about. Trust me its not stupid, its not unrealistic, you are only talking to the wrong crowd about it. Writing doesn’t seem big but before I got the push to write, I told myself who would want to read what I have to say? Who would bookmark and sign up for my blog? It seemed unrealistic to me years ago. I wouldn’t even talk about it out loud. I mean there are thousands of people who have better writing skills and more thought-provoking content than I do. However, you reading this right now is my testimony that someone other than myself is reading it and that your contribution to showing off Christ is relevant no matter how tiny it seems at the start.
God said we are FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE!( Psalm 139:14) and He cannot lie (Numbers 23:19) We are limited editions; each one of us. We were built with great potentials but we may never get to see them fruit and blossom fully… why? Because we are stuck tolerating some basic life when we are extraordinary beings made for extraordinary things. If you doubt me, just think about the great trouble the devil goes through day in and day out to distract us from achieving purpose, from living in the Will of God. If it wasn’t extraordinary and the only way to make us truly fulfilled, I don’t think he’d bother. The devil can’t shift or alter God’s plans, he doesn’t have the power to. However, he’s a brilliant liar who can make us believe that we were made ordinary and that the way of Christ is difficult, slow and boring! That we can be our own gods in charge of our own destinies (Genesis 3:5)
I’m writing this because I got my wake up call last weekend and I need accountability partners to keep me from slacking and slipping back into simply existing instead of seizing every opportunity to reveal Christ to the world, to make the most out of the gift we call today and rising up to chase after God and His Will concerning my life. I also wrote it to encourage anyone else who had doubts that they were made to be exceptional, for anyone who thinks their dreams are invalid, for anyone who just feels stuck or is existing and tolerating life like I was. This is to remind you and myself that every provision to rise up, LIVE and be whom and what God has called us to be and do has been made freely available. (Philippians 4:19) Amen