So this post was supposed to have gone up 3 months ago for my birthday but noooo sister was too busy having that ‘did God really say you can’t…’ convo with the serpent and the rest is history yet a mystery (I really could be a rapper guys lol) and as promised i would be sharing that, pretty soon hopefully. So sorry for the post delay but here it goes
You know how everyone starts their birthday post with ‘ I’m not where I thought I’d be at *insert age* but I’m grateful to God‘ well I’m going to be cliche and do same.. so yah! I’m not where I thought I’d be at 25… I AM FAR BEYOND IT! Far far far beyond it! Mentally, physically,emotionally, spiritually … everything!!! I am shocked at my own growth to be honest, yes yes I still have a lot of maturing to do but I look in the mirror and i know I’ve done some growing. I am so grateful to God for how far He’s brought me and especially grateful for the family He put me in. I won’t even begin to list the things I’m grateful for because it would have to go into a series which would be as long as BOLD&BEAUTIFUL Or DAYS OF OUR LIVES lol
“You split the sea
So I could walk right through it
My fears were drowned in perfect love
You rescued me and I will stand and sing
I AM A CHILD OF GOD”
The lyrics above, from no longer slaves by Bethel music sums up my whole year, my whole life even. There were times I cried out to God to dry up the sea, to remove it , to make me just reappear on the other side but God said ‘where is the growth in that? Where is the wonder?, where is my Glory?‘ He’d have me walk THROUGH it. Through it my strength was found, through it my fears were drowned, through it my faith was built, through it I found myself, through it I found Him and found that truly, I am His! God has made paths in the desert for me, He’s rescued me from myself too many times. Honestly this year has been an amazing year for me. This is what I presume they will call deep water cleansing. I’ve been shook, turned upside down, spun around but I’m standing here, stronger than ever. God has been faithful, I don’t deserve it but He’s been beyond good.
I want to share 25 things I’ve learnt this year, but because y’all know your girl is such a talker, I split it up and will mention 12 and a half (I’m now figuring what the half would mean hehe) of those things today and then, bring you the other 12 and a half in my next post. Let’s get right into it 🙂
- First thing happens to be something a friend told me mid-year and he said ‘ your story is different Jewie‘. Your story is different too darling. Things may not happen for you as you expect, may not happen for you at the time you expect it to happen but if you align yourself to the purpose of God, things will fall in their pleasant places and it would be glorious! God doesn’t take naps or breaks, He doesn’t put you on hold for later, every period of your life is part of the process and every wait is necessary. Believe that!
- I know you see this on here in my blogposts and tweets but yeah don’t treat people based on how they treat you, treat them based on how Christ would. Some people seem to deserve the evil you have prepared for them, trust me I know that too well. We deserved the evil the devil had for us as sinners but Christ’s love was greater and He chose to yield to that. People will have you wanting to pull out the old dead you and ressurect it so you can address them the way they need or well the way we think they need but Christ says ‘Be Me‘ instead.
- Be ready to always stand for the truth. Most times it means standing alone but remember, a number of people doing a thing doesn’t automatically make it the right thing. People will despise and mock you but it’s okay.
- You will outgrow certain things and people and that’s okay too. You won’t be entertained by the same crowd or tv shows or things. No need to panic, it’s called growth. Don’t fight it, don’t worry too much about it. You are just growing! Some people weren’t made to walk the whole journey with you.
- LAUGH! I don’t think I can stress enough the power in laughing. If you’ve met me and i didn’t laugh, it probably means one of my friends was eyeing me to hold it together. Apparently, (well not apparently) i have an ugly and slightly disturbing laugh so usually during first meetings, i try as much as possible to hold it all in and unleash it when we are officially stuck as friends forever hehe. The Bible says a merry heart does good like medicine and I agree. It confuses the enemy too. There is never a day I don’t laugh. It doesn’t matter what was happening in the day or with me, joy would spring up and out in laughter.
- Be grateful and express it! Every time I think on the things I have over what I want to have, I burst into tears.
- Learn to forgive! Forgiveness doesn’t take your strength, it takes your will. You can’t say it’s hard to forgive when it takes grace that is freely given and abundant if you are willing. Forgiveness frees both parties. You are allowing someone to live rent free in your emotions and mind, you are giving him/her all that power to alter your mood whenever. I don’t know about you, but it’s not worth it. Also, God forgives you for ALL your folly, i think it’s only right you show appreciation for His mercy and forgiveness by extending it to the brethren.
- See the need behind the fault of people. Weak people see faults, strong people see needs and reach out to offer help. If God was seeing the faults of the world, He wouldn’t have sent Jesus. He saw the need of love beyond the faults. Learn that! Learn to look beyond the surface, learn to seek the ‘why’ and don’t stop there, be a solution to the why. My dad has something He says “If you see faults, you are in the flesh! You are a weakling with no power to deal with the situation, however, if you see there is a need, you are divinely empowered to help”. Yes, we can clearly see this person is wayward but have you ever wondered why? Wondered if it’s simply a cry for help? Have you ever tried to address the wound beneath the crust or answer their cry? Nope! we call ourselves Christians but we stay afar and point fingers. Jesus saw the samarian woman and saw the need beyond her faults and He calls us to be like Him. This year, I’m learning that and you know what? it makes it way easier to forgive people.
- Learn to lean on grace and kill that thing called PRIDE or God will set you up in situations to help you and Ohhh my! you don’t want that. NO, really you don’t! Lol I have literally had to play the role of an idiot this year, i have had to make apologies that technically i should be receiving, i had to put up with all sorts of behaviors and have had to stomach all sorts of treatments, i had to reach out to people that ‘were dead’ to me. I have been humbled. It’s bitter when it’s going on but i look back at the months passed and laugh because i now see what God was doing with me. Also you miss someone, tell them! You want to fix an old friendship you lost, go fix it. You need to apologize for something, do it! It doesn’t matter how long it’s been , it doesn’t matter how annoying the person is, trust me it can’t be more annoying than the people I’ve encountered this year. A couple of months to years down the line, you’d be glad you did
- Be true to yourself. i was going to write an entire post on this. Be true to yourself, don’t sell yourself the lie you sell to everyone else, It’s unhealthy. If you begin to buy into the lies you feed yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure. A friend told me, ‘Jewie you can lie to the whole world that something didn’t offend you, that someone didn’t mean anything to you, that you didn’t make a mistake, rush into something you shouldn’t have or are unprepared for this or that you are doing fine but don’t lie to yourself! Never do that’. You can sell those lies to the world (which i don’t even approve of) but the moment you sell it to yourself and believe in it because you’ve said it so many times, you are mapping a path that would serve you no good. So, something i learnt this year is, at the end of each day or during the course of the day, I would ask myself questions. Did that statement hurt me? Did I act foolishly? am I sure I made a good call? and I’m honest to myself with the answers.
- God was intentional about your family, so should you. I don’t think i can stress this enough. Your family isn’t perfect, no ones family is, but God found them perfect for you and what He has planned for your life so don’t dismiss them, don’t ignore them and especially don’t take them for granted. Don’t despise them and be wishing to have been born elsewhere because that sort of suggests that God makes mistakes. There is a Barney (yes, i used to watch that) song that just popped into my head just now. It talks about families and goes like “ Oh, a family is people and a family is love. That’s a family. They come in all different sizes and different kinds, But mine’s just right for me.” The last line was rightly put .. MINE’S JUST RIGHT FOR ME! Your family is just right for you too, tailored to suit your needs and the sort of training God needed you to have. Like we say here in Ghana, ‘no place cool’. You are there envying someone’s own or wishing for someone’s life/family but you don’t know the demons they are battling over there too so instead of wasting energy on wanting something that would serve you no purpose, channel it into appreciating the good gift you have. Trust that you don’t want to lose them because the reality of how good you had it would hit you so strong, it might take a long while to recover.
- I learnt it’s only over when you are dead. Don’t write any situation off, don’t write yourself off! Don’t write that desire or dream off because it has tarried. My father would always say “Abraham who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken..”- Romans 4:18. Against what circumstances looked like, against what his ability was, against the time, against how hopeless the situation looked like… He chose to believe in hope that there was coming a performance of those things which where told him of the Lord(Luke 1:45). The Lord has given you a desire, You try to shake it off because it looks too big or maybe ridiculous but one thing I’ve learnt this year is if God gives you the desire, He backs it with His resources so go get it. All He needs from you is your will to pursue. It doesn’t matter where you see yourself right now, let me remind you that Joseph (my main squeeze Joey lol) was in prison and was forgotten of but he held on to the dream He had as a kid and that’s what propelled him to his rightful place as prime minister. So don’t give up!
For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. – Habakkuk 2:3
- I have learnt this year to pay compliments and give praise to my family members, my friends, strangers and myself even. it costs you absolutely nothing but it may be everything to the person. Nnipa y3 ade a os3 ayeyi which translates to ‘if someone does good, they deserve praise’ and to my Ghanaian fam, i just set you up to remember that rap and continue it hehe
Until next time loves, stay blessed xx